A look back at 2018
As 2019 is quickly creeping up on us all, it won’t be long until we are in the month of January and 2018 feels like a distant memory. Therefore, we wanted to acknowledge and somewhat celebrate everything we have achieved as individuals, as a team and as Media Village this year.
Whilst reminiscing on the events and memories of this year, we realise that we have had quite an impressive year!
So, let’s start with the fact that six new faces joined our team this year and what a difference they have made!
- April 2018 brought us the arrival of a new Marketing Executive, Amy Hughes. Bringing our social media to life, creating campaigns and promoting the Media Village services is all part of Amy’s role.
- Paige made her place in the Proofing department; with a keen eye for detail and her own creative flair, Paige quite quickly became a vital member of our team. As well as proofreading, Paige has a passion for playing netball and is also an amazing artist!
- Melissa joined our Accounts department and does an amazing job in controlling the finances and keeping everything running smoothly (oh, and paying us all on time!).
- Although Molly is now our youngest member of the team, at just 19, her graphic design skills and knowledge contributes to the team’s success hugely.
- Harrison also claimed his well-deserved spot in the studio; having recently graduated with a degree in Graphic Design, his knowledge and his own unique design style adds a fresh approach to the studio.
- July brought us a new addition to our Sales team, Stuart. We soon realised that Stuart knew anyone and everyone, so it wasn’t hard to have a good chat and get along with him!
- Colm ( who’s character is currently pending) joined our printing/production team and now works alongside Neil in our Photomechanical department.
With brand new team members and an ever-growing creative team, we needed more space! After months of hard work, physical labour, loud noises and re-assembling, this year marked the year we created our own brand new office environment – and what an office it is!
When choosing the design of our new office environment, we engaged the whole team in adding bespoke desks, personal office decor and a new open-plan space that would increase collaboration. This was a momentous moment of 2018 that all our team had worked hard to achieve, and wow, did it pay off!
You can read all about our brand new office space in the recent press release.
We know that 2019 will involve showing off our new home, hosting networking events and making the most of our new space, so watch this space and wait for your invite.
2018 also brought us the investment in new printing technology in order to meet our customers’ needs. We are now home to a brand new Konica Minolta, which enables us to print up to 630mm wide, and the potential this has given us for future and current print jobs has been very exciting.
New award nominations.
We attended the LBV Sub 36 awards all thanks to our Studio Manager, Nathan Littler, who was successfully nominated for not one, but TWO awards. So he dug out his best paisley shirt and we headed to the famous seaside resort of Blackpool to attend this prestigious event at The Winter Gardens.
Nathan was nominated for Employee of the Year Award and Customer Champion Award; although he wasn’t successful this year, who knows what 2019 will bring? And with Nathan’s determination and passion for design, who knows what he may achieve?
But that’s not all: as well as attending an awards ceremony as nominees, our Production Director, Aaron Shread, also did a bit of judging (and BIBA bending) this year. Aaron was asked to be an official judge at the BIBA awards; he officially judged the Leisure and Tourism award.
As well as hiring new staff, moving offices and being nominated for awards, our team also got up to a few other momentous moments such as;
MEDIA VILLAGE BABIES
- Giving birth! 2018 brought us TWO new Media Village babies, with our Account Manager, Lauren, giving birth to a gorgeous little boy named Freddie. It is clear to see that Freddie hasn’t struggled to make himself at home in our offices.
Secondly, our Photographer and Studio Manager, Michelle, gave birth to a beautiful girl named Ebony Mae, which of course meant our MD, Steve, had another beautiful granddaughter to welcome to the world of print and design.
Ross took his well-deserved place as Vice President at his BNI group.
His group made some amazing achievements this year!
It’s safe to say we did our bit for charity…
We organised, collected and donated a grand total of 868 meals to Blackburn Foodbank this Christmas!
We did a bit of globe hopping too,
Two of our Graphic Designers also got up to some pretty impressive things this year. Starting with Georgia, who casually climbed Snowdon one weekend…
Additionally, Sara also went on the trip of a lifetime and travelled around America. You can see some of her amazing photographs from this trip here and on our social media.
Tom, our former Account Manager, said his goodbyes this year and moved to the other side of the world to pursue his travelling ambitions. Although this was a huge loss for the Media Village, we wish Tom all the best on his travels and hope to see him back in our new office one day.
In between all of that, we did this..
We attended a Masquerade ball organised by The Mall Blackburn for their Retailer Awards of the Year. We work very closely with The Mall Blackburn, providing them with signage, advertisements, print and design work. Therefore, it was great to be invited to such an amazing event.
ATTENDED BYZ QUIZ QUEST & HOSTED A #BIGBREWUP
We got our quiz on at the annual BYZ Quiz Quest in association with Cummins Mellor. We had prepped for the big moment all year (mainly in the pub after work on a Friday) and our team did us very proud finishing in the top 10.
Successfully hosted and organised a #BigBrewUp and ate lots of cake – for a good cause, of course! We raised £170.00 for SSAFA charity, which if you are not aware of is a charity for the armed forces. With our military background and Steve Shread, our MD, being a loyal member of the Royal Navy for many years, this charity was very close to our hearts.
HAPPY 21ST BIRTHDAY MEDIA VILLAGE
We turned 21 this year so we looked back on our history, what we had achieved and celebrated our 21st birthday!